On The Water
On the Water(OTW) is MUCC’s volunteer watershed habitat improvement program. It was recently launched spring of 2019 and is fully funded by the Consumers Energy Foundation. OTW wants to have a positive impact on freshwater and habitats throughout the state. We also want to connect and engage Michigan residents to their natural resources by highlighting and educating the importance of freshwater.
In 2019, On the Water has successfully held eight field events in Michigan. 203 individuals have participated in an OTW event which totals 756.5 volunteer hours. The bodies of water that have benefited from these events are the Red Cedar River, Manistee River, Clinton River, Lake Lansing, Flint River, Battle Creek River, Munuscong River, and Shiawassee River State Game Area.
On the Water has completed one invasive species pull where we pulled 1,400 pounds of invasive European Frogbit in a 3-hour period. One lake clean-up where we were able to pick up 150 lbs. of trash in a 3-hour span. Then we have completed six river clean-ups were over 1600 lbs. of trash were picked up and disposed of properly.
On the Water also participated in one education event, The Rogue River Water Festival that was held at Cranbrook Institute of Science were we educated 93 students on the importance of habitat and Michigan waterfowl.
In just a few short months OTW has achieved so much, and we can’t wait to see what the 2020 field season has in store for us.
We are looking to make connections in your community please contact Emma Nehan at email@example.com if you would like to coordinate a volunteer event soon!
UPCOMING OTW EVENTS FOR 2020
- LAKE LANSING SPRING CLEAN-UP: APRIL 4
- CLINTON RIVER CLEAN-UP: APRIL 18
- FRIENDS OF THE ROGUE RIVER ROUGE RESCUE 2020: MAY 16
- GRAND RIVER CLEAN-UP IN JACKSON: MAY 30
- DODGE PARK INVASIVE SPECIES PULL: JUNE 6
- BAY MILLS WATERSHED CLEAN-UP: JUNE 13
- ASHMUN CREEK CLEAN-UP: JULY 18
- MANISTEE RIVER CLEAN-UP: JULY 25
- FRIENDS OF THE SHIAWASSEE RIVER PROJECT: JULY 25
- CLINTON RIVER CLEAN-UP: AUGUST 8
- THREE SHORES CISMA INVASIVE SPECIES PULL: AUGUST 15
- MUSKEGON RIVER CLEAN-UP IN NEWAYGO COUNTY: MID SEPTEMBER