With so many hunters in the woods during this time of year, getting out on public land to work projects is tricky and troublesome. That’s why I’m taking this time to work hard behind my desk and with biologists to get projects planned for the upcoming season. If you’re a first-timer and interested in joining us on a project, any one of these are great learning opportunities! If you’re a seasoned veteran of our program, we’d love to have you join us again. Here’s what’s on the list for upcoming projects:
- January 19, 2019 – St. Clair Township State Game Area – Volunteers will be thinning the edge of the area by felling boxelder trees, which is more appealing and beneficial to a host of native wildlife. We will then use these trees to create rabbit habitat for the local population.
- February 2, 2019 – Shiawassee River State Game Area – Volunteers will be constructing and placing wood duck boxes around the area for the local population of nesting hens.
- February 23, 2019 – Maple River State Game Area – Volunteers will be cutting bush along dikes and cutting an opening through the trees into D Unit of the managed area in hopes to create a better fly zone for migratory birds.
- March 9, 2019 – Gratiot-Saginaw State Game Area – Volunteers will be constructing rabbit habitat “rabbitat” on the area for the local population of cottontails.
- March 30, 2019 – Dansville State Game Area – Volunteers will be taking part in a trail clearing project by felling trees. The trees will then be used to create rabbitat in the surrounding area.
These projects are a great way to break cabin fever from the winter and get outside to start the new year off in an exciting and engaging way! Be sure to bundle up and dress for the weather for these projects, and I can’t wait to see you out in the field!
As always, if there is a project that you would like to see done on your local, public landscape, please don’t hesitate to contact me, Hunter Salisbury at firstname.lastname@example.org. I’m always looking to do projects that volunteers find fun and gratifying.
For more information and to register for an event, please click HERE.