With deer season in full swing, this week we thought we’d take a look at some delicious venison rib meat appetizers, the rib roulette! Venison rib meat, despite being the most flavorful cut of venison, is often underutilized; most toss it onto the grinding pile for burger and sausage. Rib meat of all types has a unique and palatable combination of fat and sinew, and when roasted properly, yields a sweet and earthy meal. It’s a great time to start thinking about what appetizers you’ll be serving at your holiday functions, and this is on you won’t want to miss!
Venison Rib Roulettes
12 Venison Rib Meat, off of bone
12 Thick-cut smoked bacon
3 TBSP butter
2 Large yellow onions, julienne
2 TBSP Whiskey
2 TBSP garlic, fresh chopped
1 TBSP wild mustard seed
¼ Cup tomato juice
¼ Cup Worcestershire sauce
¼ Cup brown sugar
4-inch wood picks (long toothpicks)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place venison rib meat side by side on cutting board. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Take one piece of bacon and layer one venison rib (salt and pepper side down) onto the bacon. Roll the bacon and rib into a roulette. Once the roulette has been rolled, use 2 toothpicks to secure the roulette in place. Make sure the toothpicks go all the way through the meat. Repeat this process with the rest of the venison rib meat and bacon.
- Melt butter in pan over “Medium-High” heat. Sear the rib roulettes in butter for 2-3 minutes. Turn roulettes over once and sear on opposite side for another 2 minutes. Remove to greased casserole pan and set aside.
- Using the same searing pan and butter, add onions and sauté for 2 minutes. Remove pan from heat and add whiskey away from open flame. Move pan around to allow the alcohol to vaporize before returning pan to heat. Stir in Worcestershire sauce, tomato juice, brown sugar, wild mustard seed, and garlic. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Pour onion mixture over rib roulettes in greased pan. Wrap the pan in foil and bake for 2 hours.
- Remove rib roulettes from pan and drizzle with your favorite barbeque sauce.
Serve hot with your favorite BBQ sauce and French fries!
Check back every Wednesday for a new Wild Game Dish recipe, proudly used by MUCC’s Gourmet Gone Wild program! If you’re looking for more wild game and fish recipes check out the MUCC online store and purchase a copy of Wild Gourmet!