Wild Game Wednesday: Smoked Trout with Arugula and Fried Green Tomatoes
Trout, arugula and green tomatoes are all Montana summer staples. The avocado vinaigrette gives it a healthier touch rather than a mayonnaise. One tip when frying the green tomatoes, if you brown the tomatoes too quickly and they are not warmed through, finish them in the oven!
Smoked Trout with Arugula and Fried Green Tomatoes
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 20 minutes
INGREDIENTS AVOCADO VINAIGRETTE
1/3 CUP white balsamic vinegar
2/3 CUP olive oil
3 Large basil leaves
Splash of white wine or water to adjust consistency
INGREDIENTS HORSERADISH VINAIGRETTE
1/2 CUP olive oil
1¼ CUPS champagne vinegar
1 TBSP prepared horseradish
Salt and pepper to taste
Fresh thyme, chopped
INGREDIENTS FRIED GREEN TOMATOES
1-3 Green tomatoes, depending on size
2 CUPS flour
2 CUPS milk
Panko bread crumbs
Olive oil, for shallow frying
Salt and pepper, for seasoning
INGREDIENTS SMOKED TROUT AND ARUGULA SALAD
1 Smoked trout
1 Red onion, julienned
1 Avocado, sliced
A handful of arugula
DIRECTIONS AVOCADO VINAIGRETTE
- Add all ingredients except the olive oil to a blender. Blend and slowly add the oil until smooth.
DIRECTIONS HORSERADISH VINAIGRETTE
- Mince shallot, pick fresh thyme leaves, add all ingredients except oil to a small bowl. Pour in oil slowly, whisking to combine. This vinaigrette will not be emulsified, so re-whisk just before using.
DIRECTIONS FRIED GREEN TOMATOES
- Whip the egg and milk together.
- Slice the green tomatoes and dredge in flour, dip in the egg mixture and then coat in the panko bread crumbs, pressing them down on each side.
- Fry in a sauté pan on a medium heat with olive oil in the bottom. Cook until crispy and deep brown, pull out of pan and season with salt and pepper.
Sear off the fried green tomatoes, cool slightly and place two of them to the side of the plate. Toss the arugula lightly in the horseradish vinaigrette. Place in a small pile on the opposite side of the plate. Fleck the smoked trout on the arugula and garnish with the red onion. Place one slice of avocado on the fried green tomatoes and garnish with the avocado vinaigrette. Enjoy!
Check back every Wednesday for a new Wild Game Dish recipe, proudly used by MUCC’s Gourmet Gone Wild program! If you’re looking for more wild game and fish recipes check out the MUCC online store and purchase a copy of Wild Gourmet! GGW is proudly funded through the Cabela’s Outdoor Fund.
Hold the green tomatoes, thanks.